Wednesday, January 13, 2010

And the Winner Will Be...

Next week many of us will be waiting not so patiently for word from Boston as the American Library Association and the Association for Library Service to Children will announce their picks for the Newbery and Caldecott Medal. The Newbery is awarded each year for excellence in writing for children, the Caldecott for excellence in illustration. Many librarians enjoy predicting which books will win, and we are usually way off, but, in the interest of fun, here is my pick for the Newbery.:
Where the Mountain Meets the Moon Where the Mountain Meets the Moon by Grace Lin


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Minli lives with her parents in a tiny house in a tiny village, and her mother wants a better life. Minli listens to her father's tales and sets out on a journey to change the family's fortune. With the help of a goldfish, a dragon, and many other magical meetings, she learns about true happiness. I loved this book. All the different tales went well with the main story, and kept me interested in what was happening. However, Minli spent the whole story learning that she didn't need a fortune to be happy, but in the end, got a fortune anyway. Doesn't that seem wrong? Still, a wonderful book to read and share.

View all my reviews >>
Tomorrow I'll reveal my pick for the Caldecott Medal.

No comments: